- Scoop Business - http://business.scoop.co.nz -
Tornado and severe weather – Update 6
Posted By admin On December 7, 2012 @ 2:56 pm In PressRelease | Comments Disabled
Press Release – Auckland Civil Defence Emergency Management Group
Civil Defence will be receiving information on the status of all affected buildings by 3:00pm. 570 households remain without power.Media advisory No 6
2.20pm, 7 December 2012
Tornado and severe weather at Whenuapai, Hobsonville and other parts of Auckland
Attached are two maps supplied by the Auckland Council Geospatial team showing:
1. Whenuapai-Hobsonville damage reports for Thurs 6 December:
2. Auckland region damage reports for Thurs 6 December:
• Incidents being managed currently total 107:
1. West: 22
2. North: 24
3. South: 44
4. Central: 17
• Civil Defence will be receiving information on the status of all affected buildings by 3:00pm.
• Security liaison contracted to Auckland Council is assisting on the ground and determining any security needs for homes deemed uninhabitable.
• 570 households remain without power
• Vector has requested that people do not use generators to power appliances in residential houses
• It’s anticipated that the Waimarie and Totara road areas will be affected for an extended period of time
• Supply will not be connected to Waimarie Rd and Totara Rd areas until approx. Sunday 9 December.
• One lane closed on parts of Portage Rd, New Lynn
• Waimarie Road (Totara Rd to Puriri Rd)
• Puriri Road (Waimarie Road to Kauri Road)
• 56 King St, Pukekohe
• Glen Mall Place
• Two recovery centres were set up at 10am this morning at Massey Leisure Centre, Massey and Victory Church, Freeman’s Bay, managed by Auckland Council Civil Defence staff with personnel from Housing NZ, Salvation Army, Work and Income, Child Youth and Family and Victim Support. The centres will be closed at 1700 this evening (Friday 7 December). 28 families were processed by the Massey Recovery Centre this morning
• Deployed NZ Red Cross Emergency Response team and North Shore Initial Response Team to Hobsonville to set up an Incident Control Point (ICP) and coordinate door-to-door assessments and data gathering by Ministry of Social Development teams
• The Ministry of Social Development has activated the Government helpline for people affected by yesterday’s tornado and weather event in Hobsonville and Whenuapai who require immediate, coordinated information about services and assistance
• Anyone needing assistance can phone the helpline on 0800 77 9997.
• Council is looking after misplaced animals at its West Auckland Animal Shelter, located at 48 The Concourse.
• Once the cordon is lifted, animal welfare staff will assist owners with the location of animals that were left behind when they were evacuated.
• Owners of displaced pets are encouraged to contact us to log their pet is missing by calling 09 301 0101. Our West Auckland Animal Shelter is taking good care of affected pets until they are able to be reunited with their owners.
• NZ Defence Force is continuing to provide assistance to Police with security and cordons of the affected area.
• A decision regarding accessibility to the cordon area is being assessed.
The heavy showers affecting Auckland this morning are expected to increase during today. We can expect:
1. Heavy rain and possible hail in showers
2. Wind gusts within showers of up to 100km/hr
3. A low risk of thunderstorms forming
4. Shower activity to increase during the day with most intense rainfall and activity in the evening.
What to do as storms approach:
• Take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows;
• Avoid sheltering under trees, if outside;
• Move cars under cover or away from trees;
• Secure any loose objects around your property;
• Check that drains and gutters are clear;
• Be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
• Beware of fallen trees and power lines;
• Avoid stream areas and drains.
Article printed from Scoop Business: http://business.scoop.co.nz
URL to article: http://business.scoop.co.nz/2012/12/07/tornado-and-severe-weather-update-6/
URLs in this post:
 scoop.co.nz: http://www.scoop.co.nz/
 Original url: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK201212/S00170.htm
Copyright © 2009 Scoop Business. All rights reserved.