Death of couple is believed to be accidental

Press Release – New Zealand Police

Post mortem examinations have been carried this morning on David and Bernadette Otimi who were found dead by their children at their home in Taumarunui yesterday morning. The finding is going to be subject to further toxicology tests which may take some …

Death of couple is believed to be accidental

Post mortem examinations have been carried this morning on David and Bernadette Otimi who were found dead by their children at their home in Taumarunui yesterday morning.

The finding is going to be subject to further toxicology tests which may take some time, but at this stage the most probable cause of death is suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The couple were found in a bedroom which also contained an outdoor patio gas heater.

The deaths are not being treated as suspicious and are believed to be accidental and have been referred to the Coroner.

Detective Senior Sergeant Keith Borrell said: It is for the Coroner to make a formal finding once all of the medical evidence is available to him. However early indications are that this couple have died as a result of a tragic accident.

“I would like to take the opportunity to raise people awareness of the dangers of having outdoor equipment such as gas patio heaters and gas barbecues inside the home, as it may well turn out that such equipment caused this tragedy. These products are designed for outdoor use only.”

ENDS

Content Sourced from scoop.co.nz
Original url